Warm buttermilk biscuits with peppery country sausage gravy is a breakfast favorite as a side dish or a meal.
Listen to me explain briefly about how to make this gravy, with some great tips along the way, by clicking the play button below:[sc name="biscuitsgravyrotd"][/sc]
- 2 Tbsp. butter
- 1 (16 oz.) package bulk, uncooked breakfast sausage
- 2 Tbsp. all-purpose flour
- 2 and ¼ cups whole milk
- ¼ tsp. ground black pepper
- ½ tsp. salt (optional)
- 8 (fully baked) buttermilk biscuits
- In a large skillet melt butter over medium heat. Add sausage.
- Cook, stirring frequently until well browned, breaking large clumps into small crumbles.
- Sprinkle flour evenly over browned sausage, stir to coat. Cook, stirring constantly, for 1 minute.
- Add milk and pepper, stir until well combined.
- Bring to boiling, reduce to a simmer. Cook, stirring occasionally, 2 to 3 minutes, until sauce thickens. Add optional salt to taste.
- Serve warm with biscuits.
- Gravy can be made in advance and stored in the refrigerator in an airtight container up to 7 days, or in the freezer up to 1 month. (Store biscuits separately.)
- Prepared bulk sausage may already contain salt, in which case, you won’t need to add the optional ¼ teaspoon. Taste the gravy before adding any of the optional salt called for in the recipe to prevent the gravy from becoming too salty.