The secret to the birthday cake flavor and crumbed texture of these pumpkin seeds is to use dry cake mix as the seasoning.
- 1 and 1/2 cups fresh pumpkin seeds (the amount you’ll get from approximately one large pumpkin or from two pie pumpkins)
- 1/2 cup boxed white cake mix
- 2 Tbsp. canola oil
- Preheat oven to 325ºF.
- Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper. Measure the dry cake mix into a medium-sized bowl.
- Put the pumpkin seeds in a colander and rinse with cold water. Pat them dry with paper towel.
- Warm the canola oil over medium heat in a large skillet. Add the pumpkin seeds (stand back to avoid oil spatters which can happen if the seeds were not thoroughly dried). Cook, stirring occasionally, until browned in a lot of spots, 4-5 minutes.
- Immediately transfer the hot seeds to the bowl of cake mix. Stir until all the seeds are coated in cake mix.
- Spread the seeds out on the parchment-lined baking sheet in a single layer. Put the baking sheet into the oven and roast the seeds until they’re crunchy, 18-22 minutes.
- Cool the seeds on the baking sheet. Serve at room temperature. Store in an airtight container for up to 4 days.