Best Ways to Cook Pork Chops
Ready to master the pork chop? We’ve gathered all our favorite methods for you!
If you’re anything like me, you love a good pork chop. It’s one of those comfort foods that always hits the spot.
But, like most comfort foods, there are many different means by which you can prepare them.
Some basics before we dive in.
I prefer pork chops with a bone that are at least ¾ of an inch thick. Thicker is better because pork chops tend to dry out easily. That’s another reason for keeping them on the bone. It adds extra moisture to the equation.
There are several different kinds of pork chops. Their names are actually quite similar to beef steak cuts, which is a fairly new development.
Some of the most common pork chops are:
- Pork Loin Porterhouse (From the hip and includes both loin and tenderloin separated by a T-shaped bone)
- Pork Rib Chop (Center Cut from pork loin. Has a T-shaped rib bone)
- Pork Shoulder Chop (Cut from the upper loin, near the shoulder)
- Sirloin Chop (From the hip toward the back of the loin. Includes various muscle groups and a slice of hip bone)
- Boneless Chop (Cut from the top. Essentially rib chop without the bone)
Ok, now that you know your chops, lets get started.
How Do You Brine Pork Chops?
Before cooking, you might want to brine your pork chops. It’s helpful and makes a world of difference.
Here are the steps you’ll need to follow:
- Combine water, salt, and sugar in a nonreactive container. Stir to dissolve.
- Transfer your solution to a resealable bag.
- Add the meat in with the solution along with any optional ingredients.
- Seal the bag. Make sure to squeeze out as much air as possible.
- Refrigerate the bag for eight to 12 hours.
- Remove the pork chops from the brine and pat dry.
- Proceed with your recipe!
How Do You Cook Pork Chops Perfectly?
We have a proven method for cooking perfect pork chops.
It’s a multi-step process that will leave you wondering how you ever made pork chops in the past without it.
Here’s what you’ve got to do, step-by-step.
- Take your pork chops out of the refrigerator. If you have been brining (you should) remove them from the bag and pat them dry.
- Let them rest at room temperature for five minutes
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- Rub the chops with olive oil on both sides. (You’ll need about one teaspoon of oil per side)
- Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Heat a large skillet over high heat. Once the oven has preheated, place your meat in the skillet.
- Cook the pork chops without moving them for three minutes.
- With a pair of tongs, gently lift one up. Once a good crust forms, turn them over.
- Once they’re all flipped, transfer the skillet uncovered into the preheated oven.
- Bake until an interior thermometer shows 140 degrees F. This should take between four to eight minutes depending on the thickness of the meat.
- Transfer to a plate and let the chops rest for three minutes.
- Discard juices and serve.
How Do You Make Honey Garlic Pork Chops?
These honey garlic glazed pork chops will be a hit at your dinner table. The sweet honey combined with the garlic marinade is pure bliss.
Here’s the recipe, broken down into steps.
- Make the marinade by combining apple cider vinegar, two tablespoons of honey, sliced garlic, and a teaspoon of salt in a bowl and whisk together.
- Place your pork chops in a bowl or bag and pour the marinade over them.
- Allow the pork to marinate in the fridge for one to three hours.
- Remove the pork chops from the fridge, remove them from the marinade, dispose of the liquid, and pat them dry with a paper towel.
- Let them rest at room temperature for five minutes while preheating your oven to 400 degrees F.
- Rub olive oil on both sides and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Combine honey, garlic powder, and paprika in a bowl to make a glaze.
- Warm a large skillet over high heat.
- Cook the chops in the skillet without moving them for three minutes.
- Once you have a good crust, flip them over.
- Brush the chops with the glaze on the cooked side
- Transfer the skillet into the oven.
- Bake until the internal temperature is at 140 degrees F.
- Transfer to a plate and let sit for three minutes.
- Discard juices and serve.
Can You Make Homemade Shake and Bake Pork Chops?
Shake and bake pork chops are a favorite across the country. But you don’t have to buy shake and bake in order to get the same results. You can make them right in your home kitchen.
Here’s how you can make Shake and Bake Pork chops from scratch.
- Preheat your oven to 375 degrees F.
- Combine plain unseasoned breadcrumbs, onion powder, dried parsley, dried basil, salt, paprika, garlic powder, and sugar together to create a shake and bake mix.
- Add the pork chops into a plastic bag with oil and massage and coat the meat.
- Add the shake and bake mixture to the bag and shake it up until the chops are completely coated.
- Lay the pork chops on a shallow baking sheet that you’ve lined with parchment.
- Bake for 25 to 30 minutes until the internal temperature is above 145 degrees F.
How Can You Make a Ribeye Pork Chop?
Ribeye pork chops are fantastic, and we have an awesome recipe for rib eye pork chops in a berry-dijon glaze and berry cilantro dipping sauce.
Follow these steps and wow your guests.
- Start by preheating your oven to 450 degrees F.
- Place a large oven-safe skillet on the stovetop and warm it over high heat.
- Blot each porkchop with a kitchen towel before rubbing each with oil on both sides.
- Sprinkle with salt and pepper on both sides.
- Once the skillet is hot, place the chops in and reduce the heat to medium high.
- While they’re cooking on the first side, combine dijon mustard and Bonne Maman Mixed Berry Jam in a small bowl.
- Brown the chops on one side for four to five minutes. Flip them and brush the tops liberally with the jam/mustard combo sauce.
- Transfer the skillet to the oven.
- Bake until the internal temperature is 145 degrees F for rare or 155 degrees F for medium.
- Mash raspberries in a small bowl while chops are baking.
- Stir in jam, cilantro, soy sauce, lime juice, and salt.
- When the chops are done baking, transfer them to a plate and let them sit for three minutes. Serve alongside the berry cilantro sauce.
How Do You Grill Pork Chops?
Making pork chops on the grill is great for summer time. But you need to do it the right way or you’ll end up with a dried out mess.
Here’s our preferred method for making grilled pork chops.
- Sprinkle the pork with salt and pepper on both sides and set the chops aside.
- Prepare your grill for direct cooking over medium high heat. Lightly oil the grate.
- Add the pork chops to the grill and close the lid. Cook for five to six minutes.
- Open it up, flip them, close the lid again, and cook until the internal temperature reaches 145 degrees F.
- Let them rest for five minutes before you serve.
How Do You Make Pork Chops in the Instant Pot?
The Instant Pot is a marvelous invention. There’s a reason why it’s one of the go-to kitchen appliances this holiday season.
You can make a lot of amazing foods in your Instant Pot. Pork chops are just one of them!
Here are the steps you’ll need to take to create Instant Pot Pork Chops.
- Season the pork chops with salt and pepper on both sides.
- Select the Saute button on your Instant Pot. Once it says “Hot,” add olive oil.
- Add the seasoned pork to the Instant Pot and sear both sides. Make sure they’re not going to overlap. You want about three minutes per side.
- Remove the pork and set aside on a plate.
- Add broth or water to the Instant Pot and scrape the bottom and sides with a wooden spoon or spatula.
- Place the trivet into the Instant Pot and lay the pork chops on top.
- Cover the pot, lock the lid, and set the steam release valve to “Sealing.”
- Choose the “Meat/Stew” or “Pressure Cook” button and cook for five minutes.
- After the cooking cycle finishes up, let the pot sit for five minutes and do a quick release by moving the valve to “Venting.”
- Garnish with parsley and serve with your favorite sauce.
How Do You Smoke Pork Chops?
Once you start smoking your pork chops, you might never stop. The flavor of smoked pork chops is incredible, and makes for a unique take on a classic meal.
Here are the steps you’ll need to take in order to smoke your pork chops to perfection.
- Let the pork chops sit at room temperature for 30 minutes.
- Preheat the smoker to 225 degrees F.
- Drizzle olive oil and seasonings onto the pork chops and massage them into the meat.
- Place the pork chops onto the smoker and smoke them for 75 to 90 minutes. An internal thermometer should read 145 degrees F when they’re done. Make sure to flip them halfway through.
- Let them rest for 10 minutes and serve with BBQ sauce!
How Do You Bake Pork Chops?
There are some great recipes out there for baked pork chops. This one reinvents a classic by adding apples, cheddar cheese, and maple.
Let’s examine this step by step.
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees F.
- Grease a large baking sheet with olive oil.
- Combine bread crumbs, cheese, thyme, salt, pepper, and olive oil in a medium bowl.
- Rub the ingredients together until the bits of cheese are the size of the breadcrumbs.
- In a separate bowl, combine apples, maple syrup, apple cider vinegar, and salt.
- Sprinkle both sides of the pork chops with salt and pepper.
- Arrange the chops on the baking sheet and top with ¼ of the apples in a single layer and ¼ of the breadcrumb mixture.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes, until the crumbs are golden brown.
Pork is a versatile meat. There are so many amazing ways to prepare it. Try some of these methods in your home and let us know how they turn out!