Get the recipe for making beef barley soup on the stove and in the slow cooker.
- 1 (1 and ½ lbs.) chuck steak, cut into 1 inch cubes
- 2 carrots, peeled and chopped roughly
- 2 stalks of celery, trimmed and chopped
- 1 onion chopped
- 8 oz. mushrooms, sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- ¼ cup tomato paste
- 6 cups low-sodium beef stock
- 1 cup pearled barley
- Black pepper
- Put the meat, carrots, celery, onion, mushrooms, and garlic into a slow cooker or large pot.* Add the tomato paste and stir. Add the beef stock, barley, and 1/2 teaspoon of salt and 1/2 teaspoon of pepper. Stir.
- If using a slow cooker, cover it and cook on high for 4 hours or on low for 6 hours. If there is a lot of fat or scum on top, skim it off using a spoon and discard it. Stir and taste. Add more salt and pepper if desired. Serve.
- If using the stovetop, bring the pot of ingredients to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat to a low simmer and cover and cook, stirring occasionally, until barley is cooked and meat is tender, about 1.5 hours. If there is a lot of fat or scum on top, skim it off using a spoon and discard it. Stir and taste. Add more salt and pepper if desired. Serve.
*You do not need to brown the meat and vegetables first to make this recipe. But if you want to brown them, the instructions are in the blog post above.