Apple Dessert Pizza with Cream Cheese Frosting
Note: COOK the STORY may receive a commission on purchases made through Amazon/affiliate links.
This Dessert Pizza is loaded with apples and almonds and then drizzled with a cream cheese icing that makes it taste like cheesecake. This recipe is sponsored by The New York Apple Growers Association.
Lately I’ve been telling you about a new variety of apple on the market. It’s called a SnapDragon.
The SnapDragon is the kind of apple that you want to grab cold out of the fridge and chomp right into. It has a sweet bright flavor and a good crispy crunch.
But it’s also an apple that holds up well to cooking. It gets soft relatively quickly but holds its shape and doesn’t turn to mush.
When I started testing out how best to cook with this new apple, I asked my son what I should try. Apple pie? Appke cake? Apple crisp?
He said, “Apple Pizza!”
And so I did.
You can make your own homemade pizza dough for this recipe or buy store-bought pizza dough. I prefer the balls of dough sold in the bakery of my grocery store but the tubes of dough found in the refrigerated section near the biscuit tubes will work in a pinch.
To make the dessert pizza, you roll out the dough (if it’s not rolled) and put it on a pizza pan. Then you make a quick and easy maple sauce to spread on the dough. Top it with sliced apples in a single layer. Scatter with almonds and bake.
While the pizza is cooking you mix together a simple cream cheese frosting. When the pizza’s cooked, drizzle it with half the frosting. Why only half? So you can dip the crusts in the rest!
If you live in the North-Eastern US, look in Wegmans for the SnapDragon. The rest of us will have to use a different sweet and crunchy apple until the SnapDragons find their way to us. Soon, I hope!
And now, here’s my Apple Dessert Pizza with Cream Cheese Frosting recipe:
This Dessert Pizza is loaded with apples and almonds and then drizzled with a cream cheese icing that makes it taste like cheesecake.
- 2 tsp. cornstarch
- 2 Tbsp. maple syrup
- 2 Tbsp. butter
- ¼ tsp. cinnamon
- 1 ball of homemade or store-bought pizza dough (13 to 16 oz.)
- 1 SnapDragon apple, cored and sliced ¼ inch thick
- ¼ cup sliced almonds
- 4 oz. cream cheese
- ½ cup powdered sugar
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- In a small microwave-safe bowl stir together cornstarch with 1 and ½ tablespoons cold water until smooth. Add maple syrup, butter and cinnamon. Stir. Heat in microwave 20 seconds at a time until butter is melted and mixture is thick and bubbling.
- Roll out pizza dough to 15” diameter. Place on pizza pan. Spread with maple sauce. Add apples in a single layer, flipping each slice of apple over once so that it has sauce on both sides. Scatter pizza with almonds.
- Bake until pizza dough is cooked through, 18-22 minutes (or as specified by your pizza dough directions). Allow pizza to rest 5 minutes.
Meanwhile, measure the cream cheese into a microwave-safe bowl. Warm it in the microwave for 10 seconds at a time until very soft and smooth when stirred. Add the powdered sugar and vanilla. Stir. It should be thick but still thin enough to drizzle. If too thick, add water ½ teaspoon at a time, stirring after each addition, until desired consistency is reached.
- Scrape cream cheese frosting into a piping bag (or use a freezer bag with one bottom corner cut off or drizzle frosting from a spoon). Drizzle half of the frosting onto pizza, saving the rest as a dip for the crusts. Cut pizza into 8 slices to serve.
Disclosure: The New York Apple Growers Associating hired me to develop recipes for their apples and photograph them for use on their website and promotional materials as well as to use on my site and in social media to promote the apples. All opinions are my own.
Best Savory Stuffed Apples
Leave a Comment