Apple and Peanut Butter Blondies
These Apple and Peanut Butter Blondies are low on sugar, but high in satisfaction. I love them as an afternoon snack. This recipe is sponsored by Jazz Apples.
I always get tired in the afternoons. Really tired. There are a few things that help. A nap! lol. But I try not to do that. Going for a walk does wonders. So does chugging back a big glass of ice water. Yeah, water. My tired brain is screaming for coffee but I resist and just go with water.
The other thing that really helps is a protein-rich snack. One of my go-to snacks is apple slices spread with peanut butter. I especially like a nice crispy, sweet-tart apple, like a Jazz. Have you tried those ones? They’re a cross between a Royal Gala and a Braeburn. They’re being freshly harvested right now and so they’ve been popping up in my grocery store. I keep snapping them up.
For this protein break, I like to go with an unsweetened peanut butter. The one from Justin’s is at the top of my list. And I just plain love Justin’s story.
I like that afternoon snack so much that I started thinking about ways to combine those flavors. I came up with these Apple and Peanut Butter Blondies. There’s a big cupful of peanut butter in there, whole wheat flour, two grated apples and not a lot of sugar.
These blondies really aren’t sweet. So I don’t get that sugar crash 20 minutes later. And they’re chewy and satisfying. A perfect afternoon pick-me-up. (But if you want them sweeter, you can add up to an extra 3/4 cup of brown sugar and they still work out great).
Apple Peanut Butter Blondies
Note that I have tested the recipe with an extra 3/4 cup of brown sugar and it works great. So if you think you'll want a sweeter snack, do add that in there. And be sure not to overcook these babies. Because I've held back on the butter (a bit) and the sugar, if they're cooked too long they get dry. Get them out of the oven as soon as the toothpick comes out clean.
- 1 and 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 cup all-purpose unbleached flour
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1 cup Justin's peanut butter
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup packed light brown sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 2 tsp. pure vanilla extract
- 2 Jazz apples, grated (it's about 2 cups of grated apple)
- Preheat oven to 350F. Line the bottom of a 13x9" cake pan with parchment paper.
- In a medium bowl combine the whole wheat flour, all-purpose flour and salt. Set aside. Beat the peanut butter, butter and brown sugar together until fluffy. The peanut butter makes things stiff so you need to put the beater on a higher speed to get it going. Add the eggs and vanilla and beat for 1 minute. Add the flour mixture and beat just until mixed. The batter will be stiff. Stir in the apple.
- Spread the batter into the prepared pan. Bake just until a toothpick comes out clean (the blondies will still look moist on top). Cool completely before cutting into 24 pieces.
Disclosure: Jazz Apples is a client of mine. They paid me to develop this recipe using Jazz apples and Justin’s Nut Butter, to photograph the recipe, to post about it on my blog and to promote it on social media. All opinions are my own.