Air Fryer Chicken Tacos topped with tangy vinegar slaw are a great way to switch things up for Taco Tuesday. You’ll love the bright, fresh flavor of these crispy chicken tacos.
I don’t know about you, but I don’t think I could ever get tired of tacos. There’s just something about them! Of course, I do like to switch things up so I don’t get bored.
Getting Creative With Tacos
Lately, I’ve been really into these crispy air fryer chicken tacos! Bite-sized pieces of chicken are coated in seasoned batter and cooked along with peppers and onions until they’re perfectly crispy on the outside and juicy on the inside. Then they’re topped with a tangy vinegar slaw and served with lime wedges and hot sauce.
Think of them like classic fish tacos, but made with chicken.
The Best Way To Bread Chicken
The breading for these air fryer chicken tacos is made with flour and egg, which combines to form a sticky batter that crisps up really nicely in the air fryer.
To make it, start by adding flour and seasoning to a large zip-top bag. Add the chicken pieces and shake the bag vigorously for 10-15 seconds, or until the chicken is lightly coated.
Remove the chicken from the bag, shaking off any extra flour.
Next, dip the chicken into some beaten egg. I like to use a fork or a slotted spoon for this step, because things can get messy quickly.
Return the chicken piece to the flour bag and shake it again so each piece is thoroughly coated.
The chicken will be very sticky at this point, so be sure to use a fork to transfer each individual piece from the bag to the basket of your air fryer. Shake the air fryer basket vigorously several times during the cooking process to shuffle the chicken around and prevent it from sticking together and forming one big clump!
Seasoning For Air Fryer Chicken Tacos
You can make air fried chicken bites with just flour and egg, but for tacos I like to kick up the seasoning a little.
For the best flavor, add salt, pepper, and chili powder to the dry flour.
I also like to add a few dashes of hot sauce to the beaten egg. This step is optional, but if you like a hint of spicy flavor, I highly recommend it.Print
Air fryer chicken tacos topped with tangy vinegar slaw are a great way to switch things up for Taco Tuesday. You’ll love the bright, fresh flavor of these crispy chicken tacos.
Serve with lime wedges and hot sauce.
1 lb. boneless, skinless chicken breasts
½ cup flour
½ tsp. salt
½ tsp. chili powder
¼ tsp. pepper
1 Tbsp. water
7-10 dashes hot sauce (optional)
1 yellow onion
1 red bell pepper
1 cup coleslaw mix
2 Tbsp. olive oil
1 Tbsp. apple cider vinegar
2 Tbsp. chopped fresh cilantro
12 crunchy taco shells, warmed
- Spray your air fryer basket with cooking spray.
- Cut the chicken into 1-inch pieces.
- Add the flour to a large zip-top bag. Mix in the salt, pepper, and chili powder.
- In a deep bowl, beat the eggs. Mix in the water and hot sauce, if using.
- Add the chicken pieces to the bag of seasoned flour. Close the bag and shake vigorously for 10-15 seconds, until the chicken is coated with flour.
- Transfer the chicken to the bowl of egg, shaking any excess flour back into the bag.
- Use a fork to stir the chicken around, making sure all sides are coated.
- Return the chicken to the bag of flour and shake again, until well coated.
- Transfer the chicken to one half of your air fryer basket. Spray with cooking spray.
- Thinly slice the onion and bell pepper and place in the other side of the air fryer basket. Spray with cooking spray.
- Air fry at 360°F for 15-18 minutes, shaking the basket firmly every 5 minutes, or until the chicken is crisp and browned.
- While the chicken cooks, prepare the slaw: In a large mixing bowl, combine the coleslaw mix, oil, vinegar, and cilantro. Season to taste with salt. Mix well and let stand for at least 5 minutes.
- To serve, divide the peppers and onion among the taco shells. Top with a few pieces of chicken and then the slaw. Serve with lemon wedges and hot sauce.