Summer Squash and Zucchini Gratin
Today’s Summer Squash and Zucchini Gratin is a simple and delicious way to use garden vegetables. But if you don’t have them growing in your garden, don’t worry. The grocery stores and farmer’s markets have plenty right now!
My grandparents had a massive garden in their back field that the whole family (my mom, her two sisters, three brothers, everyone’s spouses and everyone’s kids) worked. And then we had a smaller garden at home that was just for us (note that this garden wouldn’t be considered small by anyone else’s standards other than my grandfather’s. To give you some perspective, my dad flooded the garden with water every winter to create a hockey rink for my brother to practice on).
At the end of the season, my grandfather would put a big box of extra vegetables at the end his driveway for anyone passing by to take. That box was always full of zucchini. So. Much. Zucchini.
I don’t have a garden right now. But even if I did I would hesitate to grow zucchini because I know how abundant the crop can be. I’d prefer to buy it at the grocery store or farmers market so that I can control the amount I have to use.
Today’s zucchini recipe is not chocolate cake. It’s a Summer Squash and Zucchini Gratin. It has tomatoes in there too. Pick some cherry tomatoes from your garden or buy a little pint of grape tomatoes.
The recipe is easy to make. You toss the vegetables with flour, salt and pepper. Then drizzle them with a touch of whipping cream and top it all with some seasoned bread crumbs. Bake until the veggies are soft, the crumbs are brown and the sauce is bubbling.
I know that back in Manitoba my parents garden is in full swing. I wonder if they planted zucchini this year. If so, I know they’ll be looking for zucchini recipes like this one. For sure.
If you’re a zucchini lover, you’ll also want to check out my recipe for zucchini, tapenade, and feta cheese bites.
Here’s my Summer Squash and Zucchini Gratin recipe:
Summer Squash and Zucchini Gratin
Today' summer vegetable gratin is a simple and delicious way to use garden vegetables like zucchini, summer squash and cherry tomatoes. But if you don't have them growing in your garden, no worries. The grocery store or farmers market will have plenty of them this time of year.
- 2 medium summer squash, cut into 1/4 inch slices
- 2 medium zucchini, cut into 1/4 inch slices
- 2 cups cherry or grape tomatoes (that's a 1 pint container, if you're buying them)
- 2 cloves of garlic, sliced thinly
- 2 Tbsp. flour
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. pepper
- 3 Tbsp. whipping cream
- 3 Tbsp. panko bread crumbs
- 3 Tbsp. finely grated parmesan cheese
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- Preheat oven to 450F.
- In a large bowl, toss summer squash, zucchini, grape tomatoes, and garlic with flour, salt and pepper. Transfer to a pie plate and drizzle with whipping cream.
- In a separate bowl, mix panko, parmesan and olive oil together. Sprinkle the crumbs over the veggies.
- Cook until the topping is brown, the veggies are tender and the sauce is bubbling, 20-25 minutes
33 Responses to “Summer Squash and Zucchini Gratin”
- 5 Healthy Summer Squash Recipes You'll Crave Immediately
- 25+ Best Zucchini Recipes - Give Recipe
- Quickest Side Dishes
- Rice with Pimientos and Peas
- Italian Roasted Cauliflower
- Most Popular Recipes of 2014 of COOKtheSTORY
- 7 days of Dukan Diet recipes for Phase 2: Garden veggie edition - LivingWithBeth.com
- Summer Vegetable and Sausage Pasta Dinner
- 15 Incredible Casserole Recipes – GleamItUp