Creamy Spicy Summer Corn Salad Recipe
This summer corn salad recipe is sweet, creamy and spicy all at once. Perfect for your summer BBQs!
This corn salad recipe is adapted from one I observed Kevin Bevington, BBQ champ extraordinaire, making at a BBQ class. I didn’t write anything down and so I had to recreate it from memory. Memory and my own twists (fresh jalapenos instead of jarred, the addition of cilantro, way less butter and cream cheese). The result was a perfect summer BBQ side dish.
The recipe calls for defrosted frozen corn but if you have lots of cobs, grill them and the cut the kernels off. Such a great way to show off fresh corn.
I usually serve this salad warm because the sauce is made of cream cheese and butter. If it’s cold, the butter coagulates a bit. Room temperature works too. But if you really want it fridge cold, skip the butter and use half cream cheese and half mayonnaise instead.
I’m seriously obsessed with corn in the summer. if you are too, be sure to also check out my recipe for corn on the cob with olive oil, Parmesan, and lemon.
Enjoy this Summer corn salad recipe!
Creamy Sweet and Spicy Corn Salad
This recipe can be made ahead and then refrigerated before baking but it will then take a little bit longer to heat through. If you leave it in your fridge and forget about it until after the steaks are ready, no worries. You can heat it in the microwave! Two minutes on high then stir. Repeat until heated through. Note: if you choose to use corn on the cob, cook it first and then shave the kernels off.
- 3 cups of corn (you can either shave it* from 3-4 cobs of corn or defrost some frozen)
- 1/2 of a red bell pepper, finely chopped
- 1/3 cup of finely chopped red onion (green onions work too!)
- 2-3 fresh jalapeno peppers, seeded and finely minced (decide how many jalapenos to use based on how spicy you like things)
- a handful of cilantro leaves, chopped (about 1/4 cup)
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/8 tsp coarsely ground black pepper
- 4 ounces cream cheese
- 3 tbsp butter
- Preheat the oven to 350ºF.
- In a medium casserole dish, combine the corn, bell pepper, onion, jalapeno, cilantro, salt and pepper.
- Squeeze the cream cheese and butter into a microwave-safe dish. Microwave on high for 20 seconds. Stir. Repeat until the butter is melted and the cream cheese is soft. Stir for awhile until they are fully incorporated together and smooth (not curdled-looking at all). Pour the hot sauce over the corn mixture. Stir. Serve at room temperature or cover and bake for 25-30 minutes, until heated through.