Mustard Greens and Italian Sausage Rigatoni
If you haven’t tried mustard greens before, now you’ve got to. This recipe is sooo good! It’s for a quick and easy pasta dish featuring spicy mustard greens, Italian sausage and grape tomatoes.
Have you seen the bags of chopped mustard greens that are available in the grocery stores now? Here’s an example from SuperFit so you know what to look for. I’m seriously in love with these greens. They have a really robust, spicy, and well, mustardy flavor that is so so delicious.
With the mustard greens being chopped and washed and ready to use, it’s super-convenient and easy to throw them into all kinds of dishes. So simple.
Today’s pasta dish makes great use of the greens and is ready in 25 minutes. It’s got the mustard greens, a light Dijon mustard sauce, Italian sausage, tomatoes and Parmesan cheese. It’s super tasty and healthy too. Enjoy!
Mustard Green and Italian Sausage Rigatoni
- 1 lb. dry rigatoni noodles
- 2 Tbsp. Dijon mustard
- 3 Tbsp. olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 and ¼ lb. Italian turkey sausage, casings removed
- 10 oz. trimmed and chopped mustard greens
- ½ tsp. salt
- 1 pint grape tomatoes, halved
- ¼ cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Cook rigatoni according to package instructions, making sure to save 1/3 cup of cooking liquid prior to draining. Whisk Dijon into reserved liquid and set aside.
- Meanwhile, heat olive oil in a large saucepan over low heat. Add garlic. Cook to infuse oil with flavor, 2-3 minutes. Increase heat to medium-high and add sausage. Use wooden spoon to break it up. Cook stirring occasionally until cooked through, 5 minutes.
- Add mustard greens, 1/3 at a time, allowing to wilt and make space before adding next addition. Stir in salt and cook stirring occasionally until greens are fully wilted, 3 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes and the Dijon mixture. Stir to heat through. Toss with cooked pasta. Serve topped with Parmesan cheese.