Mediterranean Popcorn Mix
An easy healthy mixture that you stir into popcorn. It’s bursting with citrus, sweet and savory. It’s totally going to become your favorite snack. This post was sponsored by Kitchen PLAY on behalf of JOLLY TIME Pop Corn. All thoughts, views and opinions expressed are my own.
I think I’ve mentioned before that my husband has been doing Crossfit and is getting into serious shape. I’m helping out where I can by cooking even healthier than ever. One route that I’ve been taking is to look at the Mediterranean diet a bit. We’re not following anything strictly. We’re just eating a lot more vegetables, less red meat, more fish, more whole grains, more legumes and nuts, healthier fats and we’re using less salt and turning to other flavors like herbs and citrus zests to boost things.
When JOLLY TIME Pop Corn asked me to come up with a healthy mix-in for popcorn, I knew I had to take a Mediterranean twist. This mix-in is a combination of flavors that you mix together in a pan and then stir into popped popcorn.
Pop up some plain popcorn. Then you toast some pine nuts in a dry pan until they’re aromatic and just starting to lightly brown in places. Remove the pan from the heat and stir in some olive oil and honey. The honey is important here. It helps the nuts stick to the popcorn a bit, instead of just all sinking to the bottom of the bowl. There’s a touch of salt added as well, but most of the flavor comes from Italian seasoning (which is a salt-free dry herb mix) and a nice bit of lemon zest.
You stir all that together in the pan and then pour it over the popcorn and stir to coat. The pine nuts will be falling to the bottom of the bowl at first. But as the honey cools, it will get stickier. At that point, transfer it to another bowl and the pine nuts will be on the top, and they’ll stick to the kernels better now.
When you taste it, you’re going to be amazed. That fluffy, very white JOLLY TIME Pop Corn with bursts of bright lemon flavor, sweetness and savory all there, it’s pretty amazing. And how extra amazing that it’s healthy too? It’s the perfect snack for those of us grown ups, like my husband and I, who are working hard to get into and stay in shape.
One more thing before I give you the recipe. To help you make your own healthily delicious treats, JOLLY TIME Pop Corn is doing a giveaway on their Facebook page. Stayed tuned for a chance to win your own JOLLY TIME mix-in prize pack (value $50) 4/4-4/18.
- 1/4 cup white JOLLY TIME Pop Corn kernels, popped
- 1/2 cup pine nuts
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 2 Tbsp. honey
- 1/2 tsp. Italian seasoning
- zest of 1/2 of a lemon
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- Put the popped popcorn in a medium-sized bowl.
- Toast the pine nuts on low heat in a dry skillet stirring frequently until they're fragrant and a few of them are just starting to brown, 4-5 minutes. Remove from heat. Stir in the olive oil. Then add the honey, Italian seasoning, lemon zest and salt. Stir. Pour over the popcorn and toss to coat the kernels in the honey syrup. It's o.k. if most of the pine nuts sink to the bottom of the bowl.
- Let the popcorn sit for 2 minutes so that the honey has time to cool and get stickier. Invert the bowl of popcorn into another bowl so that the pine nuts are on top. Stir gently.