Homemade Shake and Bake
Don’t buy it in a box! Make it at home. Homemade shake and bake takes minutes to make and is healthier and just as tasty as the original. You’re going to LOVE this one. I’m also telling you about a cookbook that I photographed for Produce for Kids. You can even win a copy at the bottom of this post!
I have the coolest thing to tell you about. A few months ago I spent a lot of time photographing recipes for Produce for Kids for a cookbook that they were putting out. Well, the cookbook launched this weekend! I was at the launch party. It was kind of surreal. One of my recipes is on the cover of the book, which is super cool. But that meant that everywhere I looked during the launch party, I saw something that I had created. There was even this massive life-sized sign with a bunch of my photographs on it! It was really really weird, and fun and amazing.
OK, well, enough about the surrealness of the experience. Let’s talk about that cookbook. It’s called Healthy Family Classics and it is so amazing. It has 50 easy delicious recipes (I’ve made and tasted almost all of them so I can vouch for them!) that are all registered dietitian-approved to have everything your kids need and not a lot of what they don’t. You’ve really got to get a copy (it’s available on Amazon). Oh, and I’m giving one away below. Just fill out the form at the bottom of this post to enter.
The recipes that I contributed to the book are for the homemade shake ‘n bake and cheesy broccoli oven rice that are on the cover. I’m going to share the shake ‘n bake recipe with you today and then the rice recipe next week.
I have always loved store-bought shake and bake. It’s so quick to make and so tasty. You get that amazing crunchy crust on chicken with virtually no effort. However, I wanted to do a homemade version so that I could have more control over the amount of salt and fat that goes into it. That’s why I came up with this recipe.
This homemade shake and bake recipes uses pre-seasoned whole wheat breadcrumbs, a touch of vegetable oil (you can absolutely use olive oil or grape seed oil instead), tasty seasonings and then no added salt. The oil is mixed with the breadcrumbs and seasonings right in a plastic bag. Then you add the chicken, shake it up and put it on a foil-lined baking sheet. Bake it up and eat. It’s so simple, delicious and much healthier than the store-bought version.
Try out this recipe and be sure to enter below to win a copy of the Produce for Kids Healthy Family Classics Cookbook too! You’re going to love it!
Easy Homemade Shake and Bake
- 1 and 1/2 cups seasoned whole wheat breadcrumbs
- 2 Tbsp. vegetable oil
- 1 tsp. paprika
- 1 tsp. sugar
- 1/2 tsp. garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp. onion powder
- 1/2 tsp. Italian seasoning
- pinch of cayenne (optional)
- 12 skinless chicken drumsticks
- Preheat oven to 400ºF. Line a large baking sheet with foil and spray with nonstick cooking spray (or rub it with some extra cooking oil). Set aside.
- Mix breadcrumbs, oil paprika, sugar, garlic powder, onion powder, Italian seasoning and cayenne (if using) in a gallon-size zip top bag. Shake well to mix.
- Moisten drumsticks with water and add 6 at a time to the bag. Shake well to coat. Remove from bag and place on baking sheet. Repeat with remaining drumsticks.
- Bake 40-45 minutes, or until internal temperature reaches 165ºF and outsides are brown and crispy.