Homemade Crispy Millet Pancake Recipe
This Millet Pancake Recipe is easy and gluten-free. And it makes such tasty, crunchy pancakes.I collaborated with Stonyfield to bring you this post.
Last week, I had a few questions from readers. Mostly, you guys wanted to know what to *do* with millet once you’d cooked it.
Millet is really versatile and so over the next couple of weeks I’ll be bringing you some different recipes that use it.
And today, I bring you the best.
The thing about millet is that it’s a tad dry even when cooked. That might sound like a bad thing. And it could be. Except if you have a plan involving bit of heat and a bit of oil. Then that dryness is magic.
You see, when pan fried, millet gets crunchy.
Which is why, when Stonyfield asked me to come up with a yogurt pancake recipe for Pancake Month (February!), I instantly thought of millet and the super-crisp little appetizer pancakes that I could make out of it.
A nice and tasty gluten-free pancake batter that really sizzles when it hits the pan.
If you want to make another easy millet recipe when you’re finished with this one, you should also check out my millet skillet recipe.
I know you’re going to love my crispy homemade millet pancake recipe!
Homemade Crispy Millet Pancakes with Smoked Salmon
These millet pancakes are fantastic as a base for smoked salmon or caviar. We serve them as an appetizer but we also quite often have them with a salad for dinner. These pancakes can be made ahead.* Instructions are below. Yield: 12 3-inch pancakes.
- 3/4 cup uncooked millet
- 2 eggs
- 2/3 cup Stonyfield Greek yogurt, divided
- 3 Tbsp. cornstarch
- 1/2 cup chopped green onion
- 6 tsp. vegetable oil
- 4 oz. smoked salmon
- 2 Tbsp. chopped dill
- In a medium saucepan combine the millet with 3 cups water and 1/2 teaspoon salt. Bring it to a boil. Reduce heat to medium and let it bubble until tender, 15-20 minutes. Drain well. Return millet to the saucepan and spread it out in there.
- In a medium bowl beat the eggs lightly. Add 1/3 cup of the Greek yogurt, the cornstarch and 1/2 teaspoon of salt. Stir. Add the millet and the green onions and stir until well combined.
- Preheat oven to 250F.
- Heat 2 teaspoons of the oil over medium heat in a large nonstick or well-seasoned cast iron skillet. Add 4 big spoonfuls to the pan, spaced out with room to smoosh them down. Smoosh them until they're pretty flat and about 3 inches round. Cook until bottoms are well browned, 2-3 minutes, adjusting temperature if they're cooking too quickly or not quickly enough. Flip and cook until small brown spots appear on the underside, about 1 minute more. Transfer pancakes to a pan and put in the oven to stay warm (or see note* below for Make-Ahead instructions). Add 2 teaspoons more oil to the pan and cook another batch of 4 pancakes. Then 2 teaspoons more oil and another batch of pancakes.
- Remove pancakes from oven. Arrange 3 pancakes on a plate. Top with 1 ounce of smoked salmon, a heaping tablespoon of Greek yogurt and one quarter of the dill. Repeat with remaining pancakes.
*These pancakes can be made ahead. They won't be quite as crisp but they're still delicious. Here's how to do it: Once you have removed the pancakes from the skillet, transfer them to a plate to cool. Once all pancakes are cooked and then cooled, cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for up to 5 hours. When ready to serve, arrange them in a single layer on a pan. Heat at 400F until heated through, 6-8 minutes.
Don’t those pancakes look crunchy? Head over to the Cook the Story Facebook Page and tell me what you think. Or scroll down to leave a comment here.
Disclosure: I’m a brand ambassador for Stonyfield meaning that I am paid to develop recipes that use their products and promote their products on my blog and across social media. They also give me lots of free yogurt coupons, which I love. Bob’s Red Mill has provided the big box of grains as the giveaway item mentioned in this post. They gave me a similar box and some extra millet when my recipe-testing went wild. Bob’s Red Mill has not paid me to write about their products. All opinions are my own.
8 Responses to “Homemade Crispy Millet Pancake Recipe”
- Strawberry-White Chocolate Pancakes - Cook the Story
- 100+ Healthy Holiday Appetizer Recipes + Cocktail Party Menu Planning Tips - Jeanette's Healthy Living
- 100 Sweet & Savory Brunch Recipes - Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Millet Breakfast Skillet Recipe