Grilled Shrimp and Potato Kebabs
The potatoes for these grilled shrimp and potato kebabs are given a head start in the microwave so that they grill in the same amount of time as the shrimp. It ends up being a quick dinner on a stick. Just add a little salad and you’re good to go.
Did you know that you can cook potatoes in the microwave? Not just baked potatoes. I’m pretty sure you knew about that. But any kind of potato. I pop potatoes into the microwave any time I need to give them a head start before pan-frying or roasting.
In many of the kitchens where I’ve worked, the homemade hash browns were made by filling a big pot with potatoes, topping them with water and then bringing them to a boil and letting them simmer. The potatoes were then drained and cooled before shredding. From there they could be kept in the fridge ready to hit the grill when they’re needed for an order.
But there were those mornings, usually Sunday mornings, when the waitresses were running around with a coffeepot in one hand and a tray full of toast and eggs in the other, when we would run out of cooked potatoes for hash browns.
That’s when the potatoes went into the microwave. They’d get precooked in there and then shredded into hot fluffy white strips.
The microwave is potatoes best friend.
And I remembered this friendship when coming up with these grilled shrimp kebabs. I wanted to put potatoes on the skewers but of course shrimp cook much more quickly than potatoes. Into the microwave they went.
The potatoes are then softened. You put them on the sticks with the shrimp and then grill until the shrimp are cooked through and the potatoes have crunchy grill marks. Add some bell pepper or other vegetable and you’ve got a quick dinner on a stick. Thank you Mr. Microwave, my dear friend.
Man, those red potatoes look good, all crunchy and browned. It reminds me of my old favorite Parmesan Roasted Potatoes and Onions recipe. If you love crisp red potatoes like I do, you’ve gotta check it out.
I hope you enjoy my Grilled Shrimp and Potato Skewers recipe.
Grilled Shrimp and Potato Kebabs
The potatoes for these grilled shrimp and potato kebabs are given a head start in the microwave so that they grill in the same amount of time as the shrimp. It ends up being a quick dinner on a stick. Just add a little salad and you're good to go.
- 12-12" skewers
- 2 lbs. small (about and 1/2 inch diameter) red potatoes
- 2 bell peppers, seeded and cut into 12 squares each
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 2 Tbsp. pesto
- 1 Tbsp. BBQ sauce (a sweet one with brown sugar in it is great)
- 36 large shirmp (1 to 1 and 1/2 lbs.)
- If the skewers are wooden, put them in some water to soak.
- Prick each potato two or three times with a fork. Put them in a single layer on a large microwave-safe plate. Microwave for three minutes.
- Flip them all over and microwave until fork-tender, 2-4 more minutes.
- In a small bowl mix together the olive oil, pesto and BBQ sauce.
- Preheat the grill for medium-heat direct grilling.
- Thread the potatoes, shrimp and bell peppers onto the skewers, 2 of each item per skewer. Brush all over with the pesto mixture.
- Grill on first side until grill marks appear on the underside of the potatoes, 4-5 minutes. Flip and continue to grill until shrimp are opaque and pink and the potatoes and peppers have lots of nice grill marks, another 3-5 minutes.