A Frozen Watermelon-White Wine Dessert
This is my first Flavors of Summer Virtual Picnic recipe. It’s for a frozen wine dessert recipe that I can’t wait to share with you. This Watermelon and White Wine Granita is super-simple to make and isn’t very sweet. Light and refreshing, it’s the the perfect end to a summer meal.
I know I’m not a teenager anymore. And not a young adult either. I am firmly in the middle-aged-mom phase of my life. But sometimes it feels like I’m even older.
You see, while I rarely walk into a room and forget why I’m there, I do find myself staring at the blinking cursor on the Google Homepage asking myself, “What was I going to search for?” ALL the time.
Last week I sent an email to a local frozen yogurt shop telling them that their music was too loud. I also complained about the TYPE of music they were playing. Crochety old lady, or what?
And finally, I recently realized that I don’t like super-sweet things anymore.
How did this happen?
Not the forgetful part. Not even the crochety-old-woman-who-thinks-the-music-is-too-loud part. I’m coming to terms with both of those.
But the not-liking-sweet-things part???
This not liking sweet stuff is kind of new and hasn’t full sunk in. I routinely find myself ordering, buying and even making sweet drinks and desserts. My brain thinks I like them but when I bite in, my taste buds no longer feel the love.
And then immediately my crochety-old-woman-self chimes in with a snarky, “Too sweet!” or “Too rich!”
So yes, I’m starting to act like an old lady and that seems to mean that I no longer like the sweet stuff.
What it also means is that I’ve been trying to come up with less sweet desserts. Imagine my delight when I discovered that my Watermelon and White Wine Slushy drinks from last week also make for a frozen not-very-sweet wine dessert.
The best part is that you can make a big batch of the slush and then use it however you want once it’s frozen. You can have a white wine slush one day and then a frozen wine dessert the next day.
A multi-purpose wine recipe! Even my crochety-old-self has trouble finding fault with that!
Here’s the recipe for the frozen watermelon white wine dessert
If you want to make it as a drink, do the same thing but follow the last bit of instructions over here at the frozen drink recipe.
Oh, and if you love watermelon at picnics (and seriously, who doesn’t?), you should also check out my recipe for grilled peach and watermelon kebabs
Frozen Watermelon-White Wine Granita
This is a super-simple, not-too-sweet refreshing dessert that is perfect for hot summer nights.
- 4 cups of watermelon cubes
- 2 lemons, juiced
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 1 bottle of very cold white wine (anything that you like to drink, but a dry one like an Italian Pinot Grigio or New Zealand Sauvignon Blanc if you want this to not be too sweet)
- Put the watermelon cubes into a ziplock bag and then into the freezer until frozen, at least 2 hours.
- Put the watermelon, the lemon juice, the sugar and the cold white wine into a blender and whiz it around until it is smooth. Pour the mixture back into the ziplock bag and back into the freezer. Leave it there until it is good and frozen squishing it around every now and then.
- Serve it in little bowls for a refreshing summer dessert.
This post is part of the Virtual Picnic series sponsored by Flavors of Summer.
Celebrate Sweet Vidalia Flavors of Summer with the great tastes of fresh Vidalia Onions, Avocados from Mexico, Gourmet Garden Herbs, Johnsonville Italian Sausage, mangos, watermelon and Stemilt Cherries. Great food and good friends make everyday a party to remember so start entertaining and visit www.flavors-of-summer.com for recipes, coupons and entertaining tips.
There have already been so many delicious recipes in our Virtual Picnic.
You absolutely have to go check out the Strawberry Lemon Pudding over at Jane’s Adventures in Dinner. I bet the balsamic vinegar in there totally cuts the sweetness.
Ooooo…and aren’t these Mahi Mahi Tacos with Mango Watermelon Salsa by Big Bear’s Wife beyond summery?
The giveaway that was located here has ended and the entry form has been removed. Stay tuned for more giveaways in the future!
13 Responses to “A Frozen Watermelon-White Wine Dessert”
- Watermelon Wine Slush Recipe - An easy frozen cocktail
- Homemade Berry Wine Cooler
- Easy Frozen Watermelon Popsicles
- 50 No Bake Treats - Chocolate Chocolate and More!
- 25 Desserts For Your Outdoor Party! Celebrate Indian Summer! - Kelly's Lucky You
- Picnic Recipes Galore (and another giveaway!) - Cook the Story