Bacon and Egg Salad Sandwiches
Learn how to make egg salad better than ever by adding chopped crispy bacon. It’s crazy-delicious and the perfect lunch on a hot summer day. This post is sponsored by Smithfield. It’s flavor and it hails from Smithfield!
Do you like bacon? Do you like eggs? What about sandwiches?
If you answered:
have I ever got the recipe for you! It’s an extra-special egg salad sandwich.
What makes it so special, you ask?
Yes, I’ve added bacon. Added it right into the egg salad. I really did do that and I won’t apologize for it either. It’s too amazing to apologize for. The bacon flavor spreads out so that you taste it in every bite.
Let me tell you, I made a batch of this on Friday thinking that we’d have it for quick sandwiches or what not on the weekend. It was gone well before Saturday morning. And I’m pretty sure somebody was eating it straight out of the container with a spoon. How do I know that? Ummmm…oops yeah. That was me. I’m addicted to this stuff, no lie.
The way you make it is to hard boil 8 eggs, cool them and peel them (or you can buy already boiled and peeled eggs refrigerated at your grocery store). Mash them a little bit then add in 5 strips of crispy bacon, chopped finely. I used the Smithfield Hometown Original Bacon. It gets nice and crispy but stays meaty. It’s naturally hickory smoked which adds lots of tasty flavor as well. I really love it with scrambled eggs for breakfast, but it works deliciously for any meal, like in this sandwich that I think is just perfect for lunch on a hot summer day.
In addition to the eggs and the bacon, you add a little bit of mayonnaise, some chopped green onions, salt and pepper. I don’t like to mash mine up too much but like when the egg whites still have some texture. But if you like it super-smooshed, go ahead and smoosh away. I won’t stop you.
Spoon that mixture onto buttered bread, add some lettuce, top with another buttered bread, and eat.
Or skip the bread and eat it with a spoon! Now you’re speaking my language. lol.
Note: The Smithfield Bacon used in this recipe is available in grocery stores nationwide and comes in a whole bunch of different flavors and cuts like the Hometown Original that I used today and also Thick Cut, Applewood, and Cherrywood. For more delicious recipe ideas, check out smithfield.com
Bacon and Egg Salad Sandwiches
- 8 large eggs
- 5 strips Smithfield Hometown Original Bacon
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 2 Tbsp. chopped green onions
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1/8 tsp. black pepper
- Place eggs in a medium saucepan and add cold water until eggs are submerged and there is an inch of water above them. Heat uncovered over high heat until boiling. Remove from heat and cover tightly. Let sit for 10 minutes. Drain and add cold water. Let sit 5 minutes. Peel eggs. Rinse under cold water to remove any last bits of shell. Place peeled eggs in a medium bowl.
- While eggs are cooking, prepare bacon according to package instructions, making sure that it is nice and crispy. Chop bacon very finely.
- Use a fork to mash each egg a couple of times. Add bacon, mayonnaise, green onions, salt and pepper. Stir and mash together until it has the desired consistency (I don't like mine too mushed up but to still have some texture. That's up to you though).