Easy Vegetable Soup in 15 Minutes
We’ve all been there. The refrigerator and cupboards are almost bare. Today’s Easy Vegetable Soup in 15 Minutes can be made with whatever vegetables you have in your pantry. Plus it’s hearty enough to fill you up for dinner.
A great basic vegetable soup recipe is a great thing to have up your sleeve. It’s a quick lunch or dinner. I especially like to make it the day before a big grocery shopping trip. No, it’s even better when the fridge is just about empty and there’s just a few bits and pieces of vegetables ready to be used up.
Whatever vegetables are in the fridge, go into my soup. Carrots, celery, that lonely half of a bell pepper, the leftover steamed green beans. Then I add some frozen vegetables, if I have them. And usually a can of drained beans and a can of diced tomatoes.
That’s pretty basic. But what’s most important to the vegetable soup is the extra flavors that you add. You need to make sure that there are layers of flavor to boost up the veggies and make them shine.
I like to add herbs, either dried herbs at the beginning of the cooking process or fresh at the end. Or both.
I also find that vegetable soup needs a bit of brightness and zing. I therefore always put in a bit of lemon juice just before serving. It makes the biggest difference. Really. Taste the soup before adding lemon juice and then add a bit and taste again. It’s a whole different world.
Same goes with Worcestershire sauce (today’s SouperTip!). Add a little bit of it just before serving. It has a meaty warm flavor that bulks up the soup. Worcestershire is a great ingredient to add to any soup or sauce when you feel it’s just missing something. Worcestershire sauce fixes it.
Note that Worcestershire sauce is not vegetarian since it contains anchovies. To make this soup vegetarian, you can skip the Worcestershire or try out a vegan brand of the sauce.
Easy Vegetable Soup in 15 Minutes
A quick and easy vegetable soup! You can use the vegetables listed below or go with whatever bits and pieces of raw or cooked veggies that you have in your fridge. Yield: 7 cups
- 4 cups low or no-sodium vegetable or chicken broth
- 1 (28oz.) can petite diced tomatoes
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 cup matchstick carrots
- 6 oz. pre-trimmed green beans
- 1 small onion
- 1 clove garlic
- ½ tsp. salt
- ¼ tsp. black pepper
- 1 (15.5 oz) can reduced-sodium cannellini beans (also known as “white kidney beans”)
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 1 handful of basil, parsley or cilantro (for garnish)
- ½ of a lemon
- 1 tsp. Worcestershire sauce*
- Measure the broth into a large microwave-safe bowl. Add the diced tomatoes. Microwave on high for 6 minutes.
- Meanwhile, put a large pot or Dutch oven over medium heat. Add the oil. Roughly chop the carrot matchsticks. Add to the oil. Stir and cover. Chop the green beans into 1 inch pieces and add to the carrots. Stir and cover. Peel and chop the onion. Add it to the pot. Stir and cover. Peel and mince the garlic. Add it to the pot along with the salt and pepper. Drain the beans and add them to the pot. Add the peas and corn to the pot. Cover.
- When the microwave finishes, add the hot broth mixture to the pot. Cover pot and increase heat to high. When it boils, reduce heat to a moderate simmer and cook, stirring occasionally until carrots and green beans are tender, 2-3 minutes.
- Meanwhile, roughly chop the basil, parsley or cilantro. Juice the half of a lemon. Remove the soup from the heat. Stir in the lemon juice and Worcestershire sauce. Ladle into bowls and garnish with chopped herbs.
*Worcestershire sauce is not vegetarian. To make this soup vegetarian either skip this ingredient or try a vegan version of the sauce, like this one.
Disclosure: This post contains Amazon affiliate links. If you click on one and buy something I receive a small commission, at no additional cost to you. All opinions are my own.
5 Responses to “Easy Vegetable Soup in 15 Minutes”
- Crunchy Creamy Broccoli Cauliflower Vegetable Tots
- Ramadan Soups List – Ramadan Recipes for Suhur and Iftar Cooking
- Easy Slow Cooker Italian Vegetarian Bean Soup