Cream of Asparagus Soup with Parmesan and Garlic
Cream of Asparagus Soup gets better with the addition of Parmesan cheese and lots of garlic. The best part, it’s ready in under 15 minutes!
Asparagus is one of my favorite vegetables. You can tell that if you check out how many asparagus recipes I have on this site.
Probably my all-time favorite is this easy appetizer. You basically roast asparagus for a short time, then you let it come to room temperature. Shave on large shards of Parmesan cheese, drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with chunky sea salt. Serve it as a finger food. Everyone (everyone!!) loves it. It’s amaaaaaazing.
That combination of asparagus with Parmesan cheese is what made me think to add Parmesan cheese to Cream of Asparagus Soup. And then, what goes great with Parmesan cheese? Garlic! It was a no-brainer.
I swear, you are so going to love this one.
The SouperTip for this SOUPin15 recipe is to cut your veggies very small. If the soup was going to simmer for a long time, it wouldn’t matter how big you cut your asparagus. It would get soft for sure. But if you want the asparagus to get soft in just a few minutes, you need to chop it small.
Trim the tough ends off of the asparagus by holding a clump of five or six spears in your right hand by their bottom ends. Grasp a few inches up the spears with your left hand. In a quick motion snap them all at once between your hands. Discard the bottom ends and repeat the process with more asparagus spears.
Chop the trimmed asparagus into 1/2 inch pieces. Note that they don’t have to be even or really pretty since you’re going to purée them in the end. All that matters is that they’re small.
And here’s a hint, to chop things small and fast, it’s all about the knife. A great knife lets you slide right through a bunch of asparagus at once, making quick work of your chopping. Here are some of my favorite good quality knives for the job:
OXO Good Grips Professional 8-in. Chef’s Knife
Here’s the creamy delicious recipe!
Cream of Asparagus Soup with Garlic and Parmesan
This classic soup is better than ever because of the addition of Parmesan and garlic. You're going to love it! If you want an asparagus garnish like in the picture, before blending the soup rescue a couple of asparagus tips and then chop them. You can alternatively use chopped chives or a swirl of whipping cream as a garnish. Or both! Yield 7 cups
- 4 cups low or no-sodium vegetable or chicken broth
- 2 Tbsp. butter
- 1 small onion
- 2 lbs. asparagus
- 4 cloves garlic
- ½ tsp. salt
- 2 oz. parmesan cheese
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- Measure the broth into a large microwave-safe bowl. Microwave on high for 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, put a large pot or Dutch oven over low heat. Cut the butter into small pieces and add it to the pot. As it melts, peel and chop the onion. Add the onion to the butter. Stir and cover. Increase heat to medium. Trim the tough ends off of the asparagus as described in the blog post above. Discard ends. Chop remaining asparagus into small (1/2-inch) pieces. Add to the onions. Stir and cover. Peel and mince the garlic. Add it to the asparagus along with the salt. Stir.
- At this point the broth should be finished heating. Add it to the asparagus. Cover. Increase heat to high and bring soup to a boil. Reduce to a simmer. Cook until asparagus is tender, 2-3 minutes. While it cooks, shred the parmesan.
- Use an immersion blender to puree the soup. Add the cream and heat through over medium heat but do not bring to a simmer. Remove from heat and stir in the parmesan cheese.