National Chili Day (yes, that’s really a thing) is Feb. 26. Not that you needed an excuse to eat chili, but hey, let’s make it better than ever by using it as a sauce on cheesy enchiladas.
When I simmer a pot of chili on the stove I’m not only looking forward to a big bowlful for dinner that night, I’m also looking forward to the leftovers. Leftover chili is delicious on its own but I like to use it to make other things. Especially when I don’t have enough left over for a full meal.
One of my favorite chili recipes is really quick to make but doesn’t have enough leftovers for another full meal.
When I have leftovers from this chili I make one of three things.
Or today’s recipe for Chili Enchiladas.
These are so easy to make. You warm the corn tortillas and fill each one with a bit of cheese. Roll them up and put into a casserole dish. Add the leftover chili over top and then a good sprinkle more of cheese. Bake until heated through. These are the best leftovers ever.
Here’s my recipe for Leftover Chili Enchiladas.
You can use any leftover chili for this dish or use canned chili if you're in a pinch.
- 1 Tbsp. neutral oil (like vegetable or grape seed)
- 12 small corn tortillas
- 1 and 3/4 cup finely shredded cheddar or bagged fancy shredded Mexican mixture of cheese, divided
- 4 cups chili
- Preheat oven to 350F. Grease a 13x9 cake pan with the oil.
- Heat a frying pan over medium heat. Add a tortilla and cook until browned underneath and the flip and brown on the other side. Transfer to a plate and cover with aluminium foil. Repeat with remaining tortillas until all are lightly browned, being sure to keep the all covered up as you go.
- Working with one tortilla at a time, put a heaped tablespoon of cheese down the center of a tortilla. Roll it up and place it seam-side down in the oiled cake pan. Repeat with remaining tortillas arranging them in a single layer in the pan. Top evenly with chili and then with remaining cheese (you should have about 1/2 cup left for this topping).
- Bake uncovered until heated through, 30-35 minutes.
4 Responses to “Chili Enchiladas”
- The Best Chili Recipe. Tasty, Easy and Quick
- Chili-Stuffed Mushrooms Recipe
- Tacos with Homemade Taco Seasoning Recipe - The Gracious Wife