Easiest Chicken Cordon Bleu Recipe
This chicken cordon bleu recipe stacks the ingredients over the chicken instead of stuffing them inside. And it’s baked, so it’s a simpler and healthier version of the classic.
Chicken Cordon Bleu is a classic, usually made by stuffing ham and cheese inside of a chicken breast. When it comes to weeknight meals, I didn’t want to spend the time stuffing.
Instead, I came up with this Chicken Cordon Bleu recipe where the ham, chicken and cheese are simply layered.
Notice that the ham’s on the bottom? That’s to catch any cheese that melts off the top and tries to slide away.
Some of the cheese does make it off of the ham. That cheese gets all brown and crunchy and amazing. See?
If you’re a lover of chicken cordon bleu, be sure to also check out my recipe for chicken cordon bleu lasagna rolls.
And now, here’s my baked easy Chicken Cordon Bleu Recipe:
Easy Chicken Cordon Bleu Recipe
This is an easy weeknight version of Chicken Cordon Bleu. Instead of stuffing the chicken pieces, you lay everything on top of the chicken, which really saves time.
- 2 tsp. olive oil, divided
- 1/2 cup panko bread crumbs
- 1/8 tsp. salt
- 1/8 tsp. black pepper
- 1/4 tsp. garlic powder
- 4 (1 oz.) slices baked or honey ham
- 4 boneless skinless chicken thighs
- 4 (1 oz.) slices Swiss cheese
- 1 large tomato, sliced
- Preheat the oven to 400º F. Rub a medium-sized baking sheet with 1 teaspoon of the olive oil.
- In a medium sized bowl combine the bread crumbs, salt, pepper, garlic powder and the remaining teaspoon of olive oil. Set aside.
- Lay the 4 slices of ham out on the baking sheet in a non-overlapping layer. Take a chicken thigh and unroll it so that it is a flat single-layered piece. Put it on top of one of the slices of ham. Repeat with the remaining chicken thighs.
- Top each chicken thigh with a slice of cheese. Overlap tomato slices over each piece of cheese and then top each set of tomatoes with one quarter of the bread crumb mixture.
- Bake until chicken is cooked through and bread crumbs are browned, about 20 minutes.
(This post originally contained a story about my husband and his amazing cooking skills. I’ve removed the story).
15 Responses to “Easiest Chicken Cordon Bleu Recipe”
- Cookies and Cups Quick, Simple and Delicious 30 Minute Meals - Cookies and Cups
- Mini Prosciutto and Melon Phyllo Cups Appetizer Recipe
- 60 Blogs with Recipes for Quick Weeknight Dinners | Live-In Nanny
- Time to Get a List | Div Kay's Divorce Blog ~ConfessionsofaDESPERATEforDIVORCEwife