The Spanish Burger (with Chorizo right in the Patty!!)
Today I’m telling you about about a fiesta of a burger recipe. This burger recipe has chorizo sausage mixed right into the patty. It’s amazing. So amazing that a version of this burger got me into the finals of the Whole Foods Fill the Grill Competition. This post is sponsored by Lipton. All thoughts and opinions are my own.
Inspiration can sometimes come at just the right moment. When Lipton asked me to come up with a burger recipe, I was a bit stumped. We tend to be burger purists. We make basic burgers of ground beef with a bit of seasonings, grill them, put them into toasted buns with tomatoes, lettuce, pickles and onions. Sometimes I sauté some mushrooms or caramelize the onions, but that’s pretty much it.
As I stared at my inbox where the invitation from Lipton had appeared, a newsletter from Food52 about a genius burger recipe by Suzanne Goin suddenly made my computer go “ba-bling”. I clicked immediately. My eyes got big and round, I got hungry and my brain made it’s own “ba-bling” noise.
This burger really was genius. I mean, it had chorizo and bacon mixed right into the burger patty. I was inspired.
Let me just say that it was never my intent to steal this recipe. Of course not! But even if I was a dishonest recipe developer who could bring herself to take someone else’s recipe, I couldn’t have this time. You see, Lipton had requested a burger recipe with 8 ingredients or fewer. Goin’s burger recipe has 14 ingredients, and that doesn’t include the ingredients for the luscious condiments she makes to go with it (a homemade aioli and romesco sauce).
So I considered Goin’s beautiful burger masterpiece and decided to snag a few of the things that really caught my eye:
-A burger patty studded with chorizo sausage;
-A burger topping containing tomato and parsley
-Manchego cheese (yes! yes! yes!)
I added black olives to the tomato and parsley condiment, used my usual beef instead of Goin’s pork, went with dry Spanish chorizo instead of the Mexican version she calls for (just because it’s readily available in my grocery store) and added some Lipton Recipe Secrets Onion Soup Mix for a seasoning boost. The result amazed me.
It was by far the best burger I’d ever made.
My parents were over for the first taste test and they not only loved it but my dad, after finished his own burger, went to the remains of my photoshoot and snagged the cold forgotten burger that was sitting there. Yes, it was that good.
Better than all that, it was a super quick and easy burger recipe to make. So quick and easy that I decided to make it when I competed in the Whole Foods Fill the Grill Contest. And this burger got me through to the finals!
Here’s my delicious burger recipe:
The Flamenco Burger
This burger is bursting with the rich, salty and fresh flavors of Spain: Chorizo, onion, creamy Manchego cheese, olives, roasted peppers and parsley. It's a simple yet very flavorful twist for your next summer party.
- 2/3 cup chopped pitted black olives
- 1 and 1/2 cups chopped roasted red pepper
- 1 cup loosely packed flat leaf Italian parsley, roughly chopped
- 2 lbs ground chuck
- 1 envelope Lipton Recipe Secrets Onion Soup Mix
- 8 oz. chorizo, roughly chopped
- 8-1 oz slices of Manchego cheese
- 8 hamburger buns, split and toasted
- Pre-heat a grill for medium-high heat direct cooking.
- In a medium-sized bowl combine the olives, roasted red pepper and parsley. Set aside.
- In a large bowl combine the ground chuck, Lipton Recipe Secrets Onion Soup Mix and the chorizo. Shape into 8 equal-sized ½ inch thick patties. Transfer the patties to the grill and cook on each side for 3-4 minutes, until well browned. Top each patty with a slice of Manchego cheese and cook until the burgers are cooked through and the cheese is melted.
- Put 1 tablespoon of the olive mixture on the bottom of each hamburger bun. Top with a burger patty, another 1 tablespoon of the olive mixture and then with a bun top. Repeat until all burgers are made. Dig in. Olé!
Disclosure: Litpon Recipe Secrets has paid me with a $100 cash gift card to develop the above recipe using a Lipton product, take the above pictures and tell you about it on my blog. They also provided three $50 cash gift cards for a giveaway that is now closed. All opinions are my own.
55 Responses to “The Spanish Burger (with Chorizo right in the Patty!!)”
- Best Burger Recipe
- 45 Mouth Watering Burgers - One Sweet Appetite
- Turkey Burger Patties with Toasted Cumin, Coriander and Fennel
- A Burger Recipe With Bacon Right In The Patty