Breakfast Grilled Cheese With A Crunchy Maple Crust
Today I’m going to introduce you to the most amazing breakfast grilled cheese sandwich recipe ever. It has a crunchy outside maple crust that you are going to love.
Want to know how to make the best grilled cheese sandwich ever? Add something to the butter on the outside of the sandwich.
Not just anything.
Something that will get crunchy when it’s heated.
This extra crunchy coating on the outside of the grilled cheese sandwich is done for its own sake (crunchy buttery bread is awesome, right?) but also because of the contrast it has to the soft oozing cheese inside the sandwich. Your teeth crack through the grilled bread and then meet a smooth soft center.
That, to me, is the best grilled cheese sandwich: crunchy on the outside, soft on the inside.
How to do it? There are two ways. I’m telling you about one today and another one later in the week.
Today’s outer crust is best on any breakfast grilled cheese, or any grilled cheese with bacon.
What you do is mix a small amount of maple syrup with softened butter. This is the mixture that goes on the outer sides of the bread in the sandwich. The sugar in the maple syrup caramelizes as it cooks giving the outside of the bread a candied crunch.
This particular sandwich has slices of orange in it as well as the bacon and cheese. They’re not required. But they remind me of having a glass of orange juice with a grilled cheese and bacon sandwich –
Is this grilled cheese sandwich a perfect breakfast or what?
For another great grilled cheese recipe, you should also check out this nacho grilled cheese.
Are you ready to sink your teeth into this grilled cheese sandwich?
Breakfast Grilled Cheese with a Maple Crust
My one piece of advice when making this sandwich: Keep an eye on the heat. You don't want the sugar in the maple crust to burn before the cheese melts. Low and slow for longer is better than high and fast and burnt.
- 1 and ½ tbsp softened buter
- 1 tsp maple syrup
- 2 ouces shredded aged cheddar
- 2 slices whole wheat hand sliced ¾ inch thick
- ½ large navel orange, pith and peel removed, sliced ¼ inch thick, 4 slices
- 2 slices crisply cooked bacon
- Preheat a non-stick skillet or well-seasoned cast iron skillet over medium-low heat.
- In a small bowl use a fork to mash together the butter and maple syrup until well combined. Spread half of the butter mixture onto one side of one slice of bread. Spread the other half onto one side of the other slice of bread.
- Place each slice of bread buttered side down into the preheated pan. Sprinkle half of the cheddar onto the top side of each slice. Arrange the bacon in a single layer on one slice. Cover the pan and cook for 7-10 minutes, until the cheese is melted and the underside of the bread slices is browned.
- To a cutting board, transfer the slice of toasted bread that has the bacon. Arrange the orange slices over the bacon in a single layer. Invert the second slice of bread onto the orange slices such that orange and cheddar meet. Cut in half to serve.
11 Responses to “Breakfast Grilled Cheese With A Crunchy Maple Crust”
- Nacho Grilled Cheese Sandwich
- 25 Grilled Cheese Sandwiches for National Grilled Cheese Sandwich Day - Family Food And Travel
- How to Make the Best Grilled Cheese Sandwich