Homemade Black Bean Soup in 15 Minutes
This homemade Black Bean Soup Recipe is ready in under 15 minutes. Is it possible? Yes! Find out how to make this quick, hearty and flavorful soup so quickly. And get ready for more quick soups that will be coming your way soon.
Did you know that you can make delicious homemade soup in 15 minutes? You absolutely can.
A few months ago I went through a phase of really craving soup. I was making it for dinner almost every night. Even on busy nights. And I suddenly realized that the soups I was making were coming together really quickly.
I started timing myself, just for fun. What I discovered was that they were usually ready in under 15 minutes.
The idea for the Soup in 15 series was born!
Starting today, every week for the next year I’ll be bringing you a new homemade soup recipe that is ready in under 15 minutes.
Today is the first one! It’s a recipe for Quick Homemade Black Bean Soup.
This black bean soup is hearty and flavorful. I served it for dinner alongside chicken sandwiches last week. Both my husband and my kids gobbled it up. Note that my husband’s and my soups had some chopped jalapeño pepper on top. The kids opted to not add any to theirs, which is one of the things I like best about this soup recipe: There are a bunch of toppings that everyone can decide to add, or not to add.
Every week when I share the Soup in 15 recipe I will also be sharing a Souper Tip. This is an ingredient or technique that makes the soup so delicious so quickly. Check out all of my Souper Tips here to help you out whenever you’re making soups of your own.
Souper Tip #1: Canadian Back Bacon
Canadian Back Bacon comes fully cooked so you can warm it up a bit in a frying pan and not worry about whether it’s still raw inside. Most importantly, it adds a salty bacon flavor and meaty texture to the soup in a very short time.
Oh, and if you love black beans and you want a complete Mexican meal, pair this soup with my recipe for vegetarian quinoa fajitas.
And now, here’s my Black Bean Soup Recipe. See you in 15!
Black Bean Soup
This black bean soup recipe is ready in under 15 minutes. It's hearty and flavorful and perfect for any weeknight. The special ingredient that gives it tons of flavor in such a short time is the Canadian Bacon, which is sold fully-cooked so you don't need to pull out a frying pan to get at the bacon flavor. To make this soup in 15 minutes, there's one thing you need to do before you start. Read through the instructions, gathering all the ingredients and tools that you will need. This serves 2 purposes: (1) It puts everything at your fingertips so you're ready to go; (2) It helps to familiarize you with the recipe so that you know what to expect ahead of time.
- 1 Tbsp. Olive Oil
- 6 slices Canadian bacon (that's about 6 oz.)
- 3-15 oz. low-sodium black beans
- 1-15 oz. canned diced tomatoes
- 1 clove of garlic
- 1 cup no-sodium or low-sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 cup cilantro leaves (plus more for serving)
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. pepper
- 1 large tomato
- 1/2 of a jalapeno (optional)
- 4 oz. queso fresco or cheddar
- 1/2 lime
- Put a Dutch oven or large pot on your stove's most powerful burner. Turn it to medium heat and add the olive oil. Swirl it around and then add the Canadian bacon slices in a single layer. Cook until lightly browned, 1-2 minutes. Remove to a cutting board.
- While the bacon's cooking, open the cans of black beans and diced tomatoes. Add them with their liquid to a blender or food processor, along with the garlic, chicken broth, 1/2 cup cilantro leaves, salt, and pepper. Pulse until all is in very small pieces.(If your blender isn't big enough, you may have to do this in two batches. In that case, mix it all in a large bowl and then pour half into the blender. Pulse it up and then pour it into the empty bacon pot. Then pulse the rest and add it to the pot).
- Put the bean mixture in the pot and cover it. Heat over medium-high stirring every couple of minutes. Always put the lid back on.
Slice bacon into 1/4 inch slices and then chop it up. Add it into the bean mixture. Put the cover back on and continue to heat it, stirring occasionally until it reaches a simmer.
- While the soup is heating up get the toppings ready: Chop the tomato, seed and mince the jalapeno, crumble the queso fresco or shred the cheddar, cut the lime into 4 wedges and pick 25 or so leaves of of the cilantro. Arrange all of these fresh ingredients on a large serving plate.
- When soup is hot and bubbling transfer it to soup bowls. Serve with the plate of chopped tomatoes, minced jalapeno, crumbled queso, cilantro leaves and lime wedges alongside so that everyone can garnish their soup as they'd like.
Click here to check out all of my Soup in 15 recipes. Or subscribe to my weekly newsletter so that you never miss any of my new recipes).
7 Responses to “Homemade Black Bean Soup in 15 Minutes”
- 101 Quick Soups Ready in 30 Minutes or Less
- Bean and Bacon Soup
- Summer Minestrone Soup Recipe
- Spanish Corn Chowder