Easy Dip Recipe – Pimento Cheese and Sausage Gravy
Today I’m excited to share with you my Double Down South Dip. This easy dip recipe will wow you with its southern flare. It’s an easy dip recipe that combines the flavors of Sausage Gravy with those of Pimento Cheese. Read on to find out all about my delicious southern dip.
I’ll admit that I’m not a huge basketball fan. There’s a big long reason for that. It has to do with my being 6 feet tall and having every person I met when in high school ask if I was on the team.
The thing was, despite my height, I sucked at the game.
Reason: I can only jump about 1/2 inch off the ground, meaning that people who are 5’6″ end up soaring over me to grab at the ball.
So there I was sucking at basketball but being asked about it all the time. You’d think I’d just stay away from the courts. Nope, not me. The coaches would find me and say, “You really need to be on our team” and I’d go try out. And then, even though I was worse than all the girls in my school, I’d make the team.
Every single coach thought that s/he could teach the tall girl to jump.
Every single coach failed.
And I spent the games on the bench and the practices running up and down the courts.
Did I mention that I hate running?
So you see, basketball and I are not great friends.
However, basketball-watching-food and me are bosom buddies. Which is why I’m delighted to bring you my Double Down South Dip just in time for March Madness.
This is an easy dip recipe. And it’s a ridiculously tasty dip recipe too.
It’s inspired by two of my favorite Southern dishes, Pimento Cheese and Sausage Gravy with Biscuits. So you’ve got crumbled breakfast sausage, cream cheese, roasted peppers, cheddar, a bit of hot sauce for that Down South kick and mini biscuits for dipping. Amazing, right?
You have to make this dip.
Now it’s time to dig in to this easy dip recipe!
Double Down South Dip
two Southern favorites unite in this hearty dip made of crumbled sausage and pimentos (roasted peppers) in cream cheese seasoned to perfection with Lipton Savory Herb with Garlic Dip Mix and a touch of hot sauce. This double dose of creamy, sausagey, cheesy Southern goodness can be eaten anywhere, anytime, with anything. But, it’s best when warm, topped with oodles of cheddar cheese and served with flaky little biscuits as dippers.
- 2 tbsp unsalted butter
- 1½ cups sausage crumbles (buy it fully cooked or brown & drain ½ lb. sausage meat)
- 1 envelope Lipton Recipe Secrets Savory Herb with Garlic Recipe Soup & Dip Mix
- 2 tbsp flour
- 1½ cups milk
- 4 oz. cream cheese
- hot sauce
- 8 oz. jarred diced pimentos, drained & rinsed
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 tsp chopped parsley (optional)
- Melt the butter in a large skillet over medium-low heat. Mix in the sausage crumbles, the Dip Mix and the flour. Slowly stir in the milk.
- Continue to stir until the mixture bubbles and gets as thick as any good gravy should be, about 4-5 minutes.
- Reduce the heat to low and add the cream cheese. Stir until its creaminess has melted into the dip. Add 4 drops of hot sauce and all but 1 teaspoon of the pimentos. Stir and then taste. If you like your Southern food to have some kick (and who doesn’t?) add a couple more drops of hot sauce.
- Use a spatula to scoop every scrumptious drop of dip into a serving bowl. Top with the cheddar cheese, the reserved tablespoon of pimentos and the parsley (if using).
14 Responses to “Easy Dip Recipe – Pimento Cheese and Sausage Gravy”
- Hosting a Cocktail Party – Let The New Year’s Eve Festivities Begin! | Dibbles and Dabs
- Sausage Gravy and Biscuits - Can't Stay Out Of The Kitchen